Understanding Your Homeowners Insurance

Understanding Your Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners’ insurance can help you pay for repairs when damage happens to your home. However, not all insurance policies are the same. Most homeowners' policies do not include flood coverage. Some policies may cover specific repairs and restoration work on your home while others may not.

Your level of coverage is spelled out in the policy purchased from your insurance provider. Insurance companies offer different policies, each with multiple options, that are tailored to meet the needs of each homeowner. Knowing what your policy covers will help you understand which add-ons you might consider purchasing. It will also assist you in filing a claim.

What Your Standard Homeowners’ Policy Usually Covers

As different as policies can be from one provider to another, most contain standard stipulations in regard to coverage. A standard homeowners’ insurance usually covers:

  • Fire damage
  • Smoke damage
  • Wind damage
  • Hail damage
  • Lightning strike damage
  • Vandalism
  • Theft

Policies typically cover expenses incurred from these types of damages. Your policy can pay for rebuilding your home when these things happen. Whether your home suffers extensive damage or just needs a few repairs due to these events, when you file your claim, your homeowners’ insurance will cover the cost of repairs.

Your policy will also cover personal items that are lost or damaged in your home due to these same occurrences. This means that you can have items that are damaged in these instances replaced with the help of your policy. The amount that you receive in this instance is dependent on what kind of personal property coverage you have.

What Your Standard Homeowners’ Policy Does Not Cover

Knowing that your standard policy does not cover will help you to modify it in order to include what you think you may need. Most homeowners' policies exclude the following:

  • Floods
  • Molds
  • Sewage backup
  • Earthquakes
  • Damage due to neglect
  • Termites
  • Sinkholes

Some policies can be customized to cover these but will come with a cap as to how much coverage a home can have for these issues. Knowing beforehand how much help you can get from your policy will help prepare you for it.

When you need repair and restoration work for your home in Worland, Cody, and Powell, it helps to know what your homeowners’ policy can cover. This will help you anticipate the costs that will come with your repair and restoration needs, should these not be included in your policy. If you need help with property damage due to the natural events that are listed as included in your policy, the company to contact for this is Varney Clean Care.

We can help you fix problems such as fire and smoke damage, structural damage due to strong winds, and roofing damage due to a hailstorm. If you are unsure what your insurance policy covers and don’t know how to file your claim, we can also help you with that. All you need to do is to contact us at 307-347-6161 and we will gladly assist you with what you and your home need.